The sketches I have done were good for getting an idea of how the finished sculpture would look, however they were drawn with a felt-tip pen and therefore do not reflect how tape looks very well. In the interest of experimentation I decided to make a small model based on design 1, just to see how it would look. Because this was just to get a vague idea, I did not measure it accurately and I used magic tape, which I had already ruled out as the material for my final piece. The model was definitely useful; I especially liked the way that viewed from the side (fig.3) the pieces of tape form a parabolic curve. This experiment motivated me to experiment with more detailed representations of the design and try out different media.